A note from Sarah: I have several wonderful coworkers that have read The Name of the Wind at least ten times and discuss it frequently. As it had been since April 2016 since I’d first read this delightful book, I felt like it was well time for a reread. I highly enjoyed this reread because there were so many more insights that I picked up on the second time around regarding foreshadowing events to come in The Wise Man’s Fear. When rereading my original review I thought it was fitting and appropriate to repost as it still held my main sentiments for The Name of the Wind. I still hold firm that this is a book all fantasy lovers should pick up. Rothfuss’ world building and detail weaving are deliberately eloquent, on a level with Martin.
Overview (No Spoilers): One of my good friends, Cory, had been after me to read this series for a while and trust me, this is one of those books you’ll be trying to get everyone to read! Rothfuss does a wonderful job weaving a story, within a story, both intricately detailed and constructed in a manner in which the reader, becoming lost in the second story, is shocked back to the main narrative. The world and characters are all developed to an exorbitant detail, which satisfies my analytical brain, is often my main grievance upon critiquing books. With that being said, READ THIS BOOK! The Name of the Wind opens in a small, rural town, in which a seemingly ordinary barkeep and his helper are far more mysterious than they appear. Upon a series of baffling and dangerous events unfolding in the quiet community, the mystery surrounding the pair begins to unravel in a most satisfying way that leaves the reader frantically flipping pages.
Additional Insight (May Contain Spoilers):
- Why is Kvothe in hiding as an Innkeeper?
- How did Kvothe eventually get kicked out of the University?
- What is Bast and how did he and Kvothe meet? How did he meet Denna?
- What is Denna’s back-story and what is she hiding? Who was her potential sponsor and could he have potentially been Haliax or one of The Chandrian?
- Why didn’t the Chandrian kill Kvothe and who chased them away?
- What are the Chandrian and how can they be defeated?
- What is the purpose of the cauldron the poor farming folks dug up from the hillside?
- How did Elodin go crazy? Also what is behind the door in the Archives?
- It makes me so uncomfortable that Kvothe doesn’t just pay off Devi.
- I loved the dragon scene! What a fun reimagining of the classically interpreted character that is not a meat eater.
- Who is Skarpi and how did he know Kvothe’s name? How does Kvothe meet up with him again? Is he a part of the Amyr?
- How did Master Lorren know Kvothe’s father’s name?