Overview (No Spoilers):
Fable is a young adult novel that follows an independent, brave young woman, the namesake of the novel, who has faced more than her fair share of heartbreaks during her short seventeen years. Losing her mother and being abandoned by everyone else she’s loved, Fable was forced to grow up quickly to survive. This story follows her desperate bid to not only escape the life she’s been trapped but also with her very own life.
As it has been a while since I’ve picked up a young adult novel, I wasn’t surprised when I was left with the same reoccurring complaint of wanting to know more details regarding the literary world crafted by Young. That said, I loved the detailed characters whose vibrant personalities shone bright with every exchange. Sure each of the personalities had minimal depth and followed relatively stereotypical characteristics and patterns, however Young deliberately crafted each one of the small cast.
Despite desiring more details to fill in the literary world, I found the story itself to be intriguing, especially when paired with Young’s engaging writing style. Interestingly, just when the reader has the story figured out, Young throws several twists Fable’s way, taking the subsequent novel in an unexpected direction. Overall, Fable is a typical young adult novel that is set in a brutal, yet fascinating world that we only get the briefest of introductions.
Additional Insight (Spoilers Abound):
- I was so confused by the purpose of Fable’s dad abandoning her but still sending the Marigold to check in on her and buy her goods. How would have Saint had felt had Fable died or been raped in those brutal conditions?
- Why did Koy try so hard to kill Fable after she saved him despite the fact he had tried to kill her the first time?
- Fable’s power as a gem sage was interesting and fit in well as to why she could find gems so well while diving.
- Where would Willa want to go once she leaves the Marigold?
- What did Saint mean by his warning about Captain West?
- Why did Fable’s mother leave Zola’s crew? Why did Clove leave Saint for Zola? Why didn’t Clove come to save Fable? Why did Clove and Zola kidnap Fable?