Overview (No Spoilers): After being a huge fan of the first book in this series, The Selection, I could hardly maintain my patience with the library wait-list. Needless to say, as soon as I could get my hands on The Elite I flew through the pages, finishing it in two sittings. The premise again was a play on The Bachelor with the field now being whittled to 6 girls. I was a little disappointed that America appeared to lose some of her sass and independent attitude as she now cares what the Prince thinks. Most of this books she struggles between choosing Maxon or Aspen, while also debating if she really wants to be Queen and if she was capable of holding the office. Often the swings between her two potential lovers were as vast as a pendulum depending upon her most recent interaction with the two. Overall, I found The Elite to be a bit of a let down due to the wavering of America’s strong character. The lack of communication between Maxon and America was infuriating as neither would be completely truthful, which was a completely change in character from the previous book. I’m looking forward the next book, however I’m holding little hope that The One will switch gears and head back to the light.
Additional Insight (May contain spoilers):
- America finally told Aspen she wasn’t interested, however that was when we thought the King was sending her home. Obviously it has to come to light that they had a relationship in the next book. How will Maxon handle that major revelation?
- There were some pretty startling, horrifying, and abusive behaviors revealed about the King. The rose-colored glasses were removed in The Elite, regarding the royal family and to a certain extent the history of the country. America was given permission by Maxon to read from the diary of the founder of the country, which shed light on some of the murky history surrounding the establishment of the royal family.
- What will happen regarding America’s proposal for doing away with the caste system?
- Will the Northern Rebels find the books they are looking for?
- Will the King find Marlee and Carter still in the Castle?