Overview (No Spoilers):
I’ve heard so many people mention The Wheel of Time series, however it is usually in context of commenting on the unusual length of the series or Jordan’s unfortunate passing prior to the series conclusion. It occurred to me while reading The Eye of the World that I’ve never actually had someone come out and tell me, “You NEED to read this series,” instead the recommendation was merely implied because it was just that good. At seventeen total books I knew it would be a major commitment to reading this classic series, and I’d expected the plot to be plodding and methodical to allow for the sprawling of so many novels. In hindsight I should have realized that a series that is as touted by so many book lovers would in no way be slow moving. Jordan’s narrative, picks up and goes right from the onset, as we get a sampling of some of the bigger forces at play before settling into the main story following a group of country bumpkins who quickly grow endeared to the reader, as they are forced from the only rural life they’ve known into a story out of a Gleeman’s tale. They quickly find out though that there’s more to an adventure than what shows up in gallant stories, from finding food to frantic escapes from enemies. Jordan has created a beautiful literary world that has laid the groundwork for continuing to development in both depth and range as this series progresses. Overall, The Eye of the World has definitely set the bar high for the following installments and I can’t wait to see how this story will grow and evolve.
Additional Insight (Spoilers Abound):
- I loved that Emond’s Field turned out to be the forgotten land of legend of Manetheren. As someone who grew up in a rural community, Emond’s field stirred nostalgic feelings and I love the idea romantic idea of the forgotten past of greatness.
- Did Thom actually get killed? I hope he survives!
- Will Matrim be able to be saved from the dagger he took from Mordeth?
- Did Rand actually kill Ba’alzamon? Rand channeled The One Power and Moiraine believes him to the the Dragon Reborn. Does that mean Rand will not go crazy and the corrupted by the power? What role will the other three play? Is there more than, Mat being descended from an ancient King and Perrin having the wolf power.
- What happened to the Ways? Can it be saved?
- How will Rand’s audience with the Queen Morgase play out in the future? Will we see more of the Prince or Princess?
- The Ogier, Loial was my favorite! Will we see more of him and his kind? How will he be received back into his people?
- Is there more to the False Dragon? It seemed anticlimactic that his role was to be captured and paraded around.
- What is Min’s story? When will she show up again?
- Will Nynaeve al’Meara and al’Lan get together?
- Will Egwene al’Vere and Nynaeve al’Meara become Aes Sedai?
- Will any of our heroes every go home?