Overview (No Spoilers): Going into the Crossroads of Twilight, I’d been forewarned that this read is often readers least favorite of the series. I tried to stay optimistic as I dove in, however the general insight I’d been given by fellow bloggers proved factual as I struggled to finish the tenth installment of The Wheel of Time series. At one point, I’d restarted a chapter approximately ten times before eventually plowing through to a more interesting point of view. Almost every series, especially ones of great length, have a book or two that serve as place holders, moving pawns around a chessboard without much action or development. Sure the characters are being maneuvered into places for the final great push toward the end, however the in between can prove challenging from a readers perspective. That being said, despite some lulls, I still enjoyed the literary journey and familiar banter, especially in Mat’s chapters. The seemingly petty politics that consumed Egwene and Elaine’s chapters dragged, and have seem to stall at certain points. Additionally, Perrin’s panicked search for Faile only continued to grow wearisome as he edges toward hopelessness becoming utterly unfamiliar from the gentle giant we’d grown to love. Putting my general annoyance aside, key pieces were moved into to place to set up the next read to be significantly more action packed than Crossroads of Twilight. The reader was even left with a cliffhanger that changes the direction for which the story had been methodically plodding along, heightening the anticipation for the next installment. Overall, as an individual piece, Crossroads of Twilight proved rather dull, however when viewed from the whole series it sets up for an action packed Knife of Dreams!
Additional Insight (Spoilers Abound):
- Who is Rand meeting at the end of the book? She is announced as the Daughter of the Nine Moons, but we know that the actual DotNM is with Mat.
- What is going on with the Ghosts roaming around?
- I can’t believe I’m saying this but I actually missed having a chapter from Faile. Seriously, when is it going to come out that Morgase is Faile’s maid?
- I hated seeing Perrin resort to torture. Will the Seanchan actually aid him in defeating the Shaido?
- How will Tuon handle knowing that she can channel the One Power? It goes against everything that she has ever known. Mat’s courting of her was pretty adorable though.
- Logain and Rand finally meet! Does Logain remember spotting Rand in the crowd when he was a boy in Andor?
- So much is being built up regarding the bonding of the Aes Sedai by the men of the Black Tower and vice versa. Will the women continue being bonded? When will it come out to the White Tower that the male half of the source is cleansed? If only Rand would just talk to Egwene and keep her informed!
- What will happen to Egwene! Who betrayed her? Is Halima giving her the headaches? When will she be discovered as a Dark One? Is she killing people since she can wield the male half of the source?
- Could Egwene and Elaine be Ta’veern?