Overview (No Spoilers): Upon finishing my last audiobook I didn’t have any books waiting for me in my queue, which is a highly unusual phenomenon. Of course this event happens just as I was wanting to go on a four mile run, leading to me impatiently go searching through the available audiobooks at my local library, waiting to be inspired by one among the stacks. After a rather embarrassing amount of time, and frustration with my lack of being able to make a decision, I settled on The Force Awakens, a book adaption of the Star Wars movie that was released back in December 2015. While I found myself thoroughly enjoying the story, the novel did not provide any additional details or depth left out by the movie. Additionally, if I had not already seen the movie ahead of time, I sure I would have found the world building severely lacking and character development rather shallow, however having already viewed the movie my mind automatically added in details and images of exact scenes. What eventually drew me into the story was the inner dialogue of the characters, including the droids like C-3PO and BB-8. Sure, the movie was able to convey what characters where thinking through expressions or utilizing body language, however it was entertaining from a literary standpoint to know for certain exactly what they were thinking in certain scenes. Also, the audiobook format was interesting because it was truly a production with the reader mimicking the voices of key characters, e.g., Harrison Ford, as well as including familiar beeps of our favorite droids and including background sounds based on the situation such as in battle or a crowd. Overall, the Force Awakens is a fun read for any Star Wars junkie biding their time till the next movie debuts.
Additional Insight (Spoilers Abound):
- What makes Finn different from other Stormtroopers? He mentions that they took him from his parents as a baby. Will we find out who is parents are?
- Speaking of parentage, who are Rey’s parents and why did they abandon her on Jakku? Personally, I’m rooting for Obi Wan Kenobi.
- This is diverting away from the book but did anyone else find Adam Driver rather dreamy as Kylo Ren? I’d never thought of him as good looking before this role.
- Will there eventually be a love triangle between Poe Dameron, Finn, and Rey?
- Will Solo’s sacrifice end up saving Kylo Ren?