Overview (No Spoilers):
My Wheel of Time journey continues with Winter’s Heart!I can’t believe I’m ten or books into this series and that I’ve been working on it for over a year now. Winter’s Heart contained my first encounter of the dreaded mid series lull, specifically in Perrin’s story, which consumed the first third of this novel. Thankfully, the reemergence of my favorite character from his one book hiatus, Mat Cauthon breathed new life into the stagnant novel. The constant amusing banter and the great supporting cast that surround Mat make his chapters impossible to not enjoy. I find myself smirking throughout all of Mat’s scenes, which is a far cry from the annoyance I felt toward this feisty guy at the beginning of this literary journey. I honestly can’t wait to see what happens next with Mat and his group of loyal followers. Rand’s finish was also high impact as so many of his loose threads become resolved, albeit into a tight knot, ultimately leading to climatic ending. The ending of a Winter’s Heart completely changes the game, as new rules will need to be established due to Rand’s daring gamble. Overall, Winter’s Heart progressed the adventures of this fascinating literary world, and ends with a monster cliff hanger that leaves the reader eagerly anticipating the next installment.
Additional Insight (Spoilers Abound):
- Will Perrin find Faile? How will Faile navigate the complicated politics of the Shaido while being held captive? What will happen when Faile hears the rumor that of Perrin spending the night in Berelain’s tent.
- How long can Morgase keep secret that she’s a Queen?
- Mat finally knows who he is going to marry? How is that even going to come to be now that he has kidnapped his bride?
- Did Rand really cleanse the taint from saidin? Are he and Nynaeve ok after their ordeal? How will this impact Taim and the Black Tower? How will the Dark One handle trusting the Forsaken now that the taint is gone?
- Who is Niel? Has he traveled as extensively as his stories imply?
- What path are the Aes Sedai of the White Tower on? Will they hinder or help the Egwene in the long run?
- Will Toveine be able to escape Logain? Will Logain help or hinder Rand?
- How will Hanlon work to undermine Elayne? Is Elayne carrying twins? Will there be repercussions due to people thinking that she is carrying Hanlon’s child?
- What role will Aludra play as the series continues? She keeps popping up!
- What will happen when the sul’dam finally realize they can channel?
- How will Min’s visions of Alivia play out?