Overview (No Spoilers):
The Expanse series only continues to get better with each subsequent novel! After the first two books, I was hesitant to move forward with the series, as I just didn’t connect with the characters, despite finding the literary world and plot intriguing. At this point, I’ve been so enjoying how Corey has been evolving the this story I’m seriously contemplating starting the TV show, which shares the series namesake. Adding to this intrigue was that one of Luke’s good friends had recently suggested the series to us as a currently favorite. Nemesis Games follows the same characters as previous installments of The Expanse, however Corey spends significantly more effort developing the supporting cast around Holden, who takes an uncharacteristically but relative back seat to his shipmates in contrast to their roles earlier novels. We finally are granted access to Naomi’s guarded backstory along with Alex and Amos’ own histories becoming more flushed out. Corey takes the dark view of humanity that has permeated this entire series to a whole other extreme level in Nemesis Games, conjuring destruction on a level hard to comprehend. Additionally, Corey also continues his theme of recycling old characters from previous installments and refashioning them into new shiny roles. I’ve found that Corey is now conditioning me to anticipate which individuals will make comebacks within future novels. In a way, I’m left feeling as though Nemesis Games worked to clean the slate for this series, with the possibilities for Corey to pursue seemingly endless, along side a large influx of new characters and their corresponding unique personalities. Overall, The Expanse has kept the readers on their toes and eagerly soaking in the wild ride Corey has concocted. Thankfully, I don’t foresee the pace abating in the near future.
- Who is really pulling the strings behind Marco? Who has the proto molecule now?
- What is going on with the rogue Martian military force?
- Will Earth have to be abandoned?
- What is happening to the ships disappearing beyond the Ring?
- I love that Clarissa is back in the story. Will she continue down her reformed path?
- How will the new crew fit in with the old crew?
- What will happen to Filip? How long until he realizes Naomi is alive?
- Who will the bulk of the Belters side with?
- Will Bobbie join the crew? I really hope she stays around!