Overview (No Spoilers): It’s wonderful when you find someone who has similar tastes in books as yourself, as when I’d started at my new job a coworker and I started naming off some of our favorite series and were excited when Red Rising and Queen of the Tearling both were high on our lists. As such, when he recommended the Grisha Trilogy by Bardugo I had to immediately add the title to my TBR pile. Previously, I’d only read Bardugo’s Wonder Woman, despite seeing glowing reviews by my fellow bloggers regarding her other series, e.g., Six of Crows duology, Grisha Trilogy, Nokolai duology. My brother and his fiance actually met Bardugo when she was in Seattle on tour for Wonder Woman and had only wonderful things to say about her. I hadn’t avoided her works for any specific reason other than the fact they’d never been specifically recommended to me by fellow readers. That being said, I devoured Shadow and Bone, finishing this read in two days. I couldn’t put down my Kindle, becoming totally absorbed within this literary realm of magic and war. The reader is just as ignorant of the elite Grisha as Alina, thereby they had to navigate this treacherous society blindly along side the would be mapmaker. This element of unknown adds a level of suspense that is kept taut throughout, heightening every interaction. Overall, in Shadow and Bone, Bardugo developed an intricate foundation from which the rest of the series can be readily expanded upon. With the detailed world building and character depth already established, I’m excited to see how the rest of the story and realm will evolve, especially as off stage locations are brought front and center.
Additional Insight (Spoilers Abound):
- It was a total leap of faith that Alina on the spur of the moment trusted Baghra instead of the Darkling. Such an impossible decision to make.
- Does Mal exhibit unknown powers due to his unique tracking skills?
- How was the Darkling able to spring his trap on Mal and Alina in the woods? The poor elegant stag! What other mystical animals will we encounter?
- What adventures await in the True Sea?
- Did anyone survive the Fold after Alina abandoned them there? Did the Darkling?
- Why did Alina not explain to Mal about why she didn’t have to take off the necklace? How will she destroy the Fold?
- Will Alina’s guard that she friended on the stage coach come over to her side?
- How do the Grisha get their powers?